Development & Volunteer Coordinator
Non-Exempt – Full Time
Development and Community Relations Manager
Agency and Department Summary
Alameda Point Collaborative (APC) uses the decommissioned naval station at Alameda Point to house and provide supportive services to those experiencing homelessness and permanent disabilities.
The Development Department is charged with raising funds and partnerships to provide support and resources for the agency and APC community. The department is currently in an expansion period with the adoption and implementation of its strategic plan; in its first year, the plan has increased revenue by 55%. The most immediate goal of the plan, and the department, is to raise 11% of the agency’s over 3 million dollar budget. With this rapid growth comes an opportunity for development staff to develop professionally in various fundraising fields. The department is looking for an employee that can take the initiative and has the charisma that matches their drive and organization. The position provides many opportunities to build and demonstrate leadership skills and experience. Most importantly this person should be motivated by the mission of APC and always work to uphold the interests of the APC community.
The Development & Volunteer Coordinator plays a vital role in the fundraising activities of the Development Department at APC. The person in this role is responsible for coordinating, planning, organizing and directing the volunteer needs associated with the Development Department’s Volunteer Coordination Program.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Ability to work with constituents from all backgrounds with compassion and respect
- Maintain the volunteer database and entries of volunteer hours
- Understand and build out projects based on the various types of APC volunteers
- Develop rapport and relationships with volunteers through regular correspondence and updates
- Coordinate volunteer outreach and recruitment
- Provide support and assistance to all volunteers and volunteer site managers
- Coordinate monthly volunteer meetings
- Coordinate, oversee, and execute volunteer activities for individuals and groups up to 500 from start to finish
- Liaise volunteer group budgets and reimbursements
- Coordinate with site managers services needs for skill-based volunteers
- Maintain website with volunteer updates; HTML and CSS WordPress
- Attend volunteer fairs and events to outreach for volunteers
- Develop and implement volunteer orientation and training programs and evaluation and acknowledgment processes into Volunteer Program
- Continue to develop and implement volunteer database tracking and reporting
- Regularly meet with site managers to recommend and develop ongoing volunteer utilization.
- Appeal to volunteers for donations and gifts
- Track and report volunteer data for all forms of media, grants, and agency reporting
- Work with social, civic and local organizations to develop ongoing partnerships, where appropriate, to develop and/or utilize volunteers
- Research, update, and recommend the best technical programs and/or software for the volunteer database that meets all agency needs
- Work collaboratively with the Development & Donor and Gifts Coordinator to continue the development and implementation of the Marketing and Communications Program
- Regularly post to agency social media platforms and website
- Develop and send out a constituent newsletter
- Create department marketing materials
- Assist in the development and implementation of special events
- Assist with external communications
- Other duties and special projects as assigned by Development Manager
- Understanding of APC mission, values and purpose
- Independent worker
- Communication (personal and interpersonal) Proficiency
- Public Speaking
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to schedule and manage multiple tasks
- Attention to detail
- Collaboration Skills
- Highly Organized
- Presentation Skills
- Teamwork Orientation
- Technical Capacity
- Time Management
- Problem Solving
- Excellent computer skills and adaptability to new technology
This position has no direct staff supervisory responsibilities, but does oversee and coordinate the APC volunteer force.
This job operates in a professional office environment, off-site venues, and outside event areas in various weather conditions. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as computers, phones, photocopiers, filing cabinets and fax machines.
The employee must frequently lift and/or move objects up to 25 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move objects up to 30 pounds. The employee will regularly be outside, walking, sometimes working alongside volunteers doing various laborious tasks.
Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time position. Days and hours of work are Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Evening and weekend work frequently may be required as job duties demand. Alternative workweek options are available.
Travel is primarily local during the business day, although some out-of-the-area travel may be expected.
Required Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree in social sciences, communication, hospitality, or related field.
- High School Diploma or GED
- Three years or more of successful work experience in this or a related field.
- Experience managing groups
- Highly proficient in MS Word and Excel. G Suite and Adobe Creative Suite a plus. Asana, Slack, and Lucid Press use encouraged
- Graphic Design experience not required but highly encouraged
- Experience with designing marketing materials
- Database experience, preferably Salesforce or similar
- Willingness to work flexible hours as required by deadlines and special events
- Experience working with at-risk communities
- Prior experience as volunteer coordinator for public or nonprofit employer.
- Prior experience creating and implementing volunteer programs and training.
- Understanding of social media platforms and how to leverage that for fundraising purposes
Additional Eligibility Qualifications
Experience with working with marginalized communities and in non-profit sector highly recommended